Mount Pleasant Zoning Changes Announcement:
Supporting job growth in Vancouver’s innovation economy
The Mount Pleasant Zoning Changes Announcement concerns the City of Vancouver’s proposal to change the eastern edge of the industrial area (east of Quebec Street). The proposed changes to the Mount Pleasant Industrial Area are to:
- Allow for larger buildings
- Increase job space
- Support the innovation economy
Mount Pleasant is centrally-located and connected to transit, has a mix of land uses, and is close to housing and amenities like cafes, parks, and shops.
These factors have attracted a growing number of digital and creative businesses, making Mount Pleasant a major cluster in Vancouver’s growing innovation economy.
What’s the innovation economy?
It’s unique to each city. For Vancouver, it means:
- Specialized manufacturing and technology prototyping
- Creative production industries like industrial design and graphic arts
- Technology-driven industries like digital enterprise and media production
The innovation economy has eight clusters in Vancouver’s metro core. See below.