To support, develop and promote farmers’ markets in British Columbia.
Our story is one of passion – we are passionate about local food and helping markets thrive. When the BCAFM first launched as an organization, our role was to support farmers’ markets in BC and help them succeed. Over the years, we have grown to recognize that our offering extends far beyond that reach.
Farming is a powerful catalyst that transcends time and returns us to simpler days when we knew where our food came from and who tended to it. Some of us may be several generations removed from farming, yet there is something intrinsic in us all that understands what it means to live off the land. Farming is a part of our heritage.
During the last century, the relationship between food producer and consumer changed as food travelled around the world, changing hands several times before finding its way to our table. More recently, there has been a return to a local food system where people can buy and sell fresh fruits and vegetables, local cheese and meat, baked goods, artisan chocolate and even flowers indigenous to the region. This is what our farmers’ markets look like today. People are seeking value, variety and freshness, and farmers’ markets capture the feeling of a traditional marketplace. At the BCAFM, we treasure the heritage and historical aspect of the farm-to-table lifestyle, and we continue to support the vision of those who came before us.
We believe that instilling our children with a deep appreciation of the Earth and all of the abundance it yields will impact future generations and transform the local food landscape, and so we are committed to creating opportunity, building community, shifting perceptions and shaping the experience of what it means to attend a farmers’ market in BC.
The BCAFM is committed to developing and strengthening the capacity of farmers’ markets in all regions of British Columbia. Our key areas of focus are:
- Providing education and training to market boards, managers and vendors;
- Helping promote farmers’ markets to the public and key industry stakeholders;
- Educating the public to choose healthy British Columbia grown agricultural products to ensure a secure food system, to reduce the carbon footprint and to ensure the viability of farming into the future;
- Initiating and managing research and development activities;
- Delivering a unified industry voice for all British Columbia farmers’ markets.